Pages

Kid Table Makeover

Emma got her play table from my grandparents for Christmas. I thought I wanted the cheap Ikea one, but I'm glad we went with the nicer one from Toys R Us. 

The Ikea one is unfinished, so I would have had to paint it anyway, and it's a bit smaller. Maybe I'll get that one for the basement some day or something. Who knows. We could have 8 kids and need another table. 

It came with 4 chairs-- each a different color. It is totally gender neutral but I knew I wanted it to be a bit girly for Emma. At first I thought I liked grey, gold, and purple, but Caralyn didn't like the purple. 

We decided to go with Coral and I'm so glad we did. 


The picture above is from December and a "before" picture. It is completely finished, which meant we had to prime it before we painted it. 

Such. A. Pain. But so, so worth it. :-) 

We headed to Lowe's on a Tuesday-- primer, 2 paint colors (grey/almost white and coral), and a top coat to protect it from food/marker/etc. 


It was a long process. Mostly because everything required multiple coats. We ended up not doing the blue chair because we would have had to prime it 3 times. Maybe one day I'll do it if I am bored. ;) 

The gold paint I found at Target in the house/tool area. Caralyn taped the legs for the table & chairs about 4.5 inches up. It was super runny so again, lots of coats. 


By Sunday it was done and so so so perfect. The three chairs are coral and looks so natural-- not like we have a day care in our family room. :-) 

And I can't believe I forgot to take a picture, but I found a roll of construction paper at Ikea that my FIL finagled onto the table. It is underneath (hidden), and Emma can just pull for more paper and rip it off. 

She's only held onto the paper and run away like 3 times, so a win in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment